Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Sampler

My BFF and I exchanged our Christmas gifts last Sunday. As I shared previously, she had challenged me to do a beach project to remind us of a weekend where things went so wrong and yet we had so much fun. I had to focus on the fun so I created this sampler. It's various components are attached to hand dyed felt. That doesn't show up all that well in the photo but it is pastel in blues and greens to remind one of the ocean.

The main focal point is a lighthouse stitched with gold thread on batik fabric and then attached to the sampler with buttons. My love of fabric and the fun of using my sewing machine made this part really fun. I didn't have too much trouble drawing the lighthouse...but then, it is all straight lines and a ruler helped!!! Each of the little tags to the right of the lighthouse features a shell or a stone fish. The tags are also wrapped with organza ribbon.


My friend is really into beading so no piece for her would be complete without the beads. These star shapes did the trick. They are placed on fabric squares that are stitched around the edges in gold......oops this picture is sideways but you get the idea. The shells are stamped on fabric paper and then attached to the ground cloth with beads and gold thread.



I found these shell beads at a shop in Tom's River, New Jersey. Wanda and I had taken a day trip there recently and I couldn't resist them for the sampler. They, too, are mounted on fabric paper. A bit of lace fills in nicely.


And finally, one of my favorite parts to work on...fabric paper with shells stenciled on with modeling paste. Then painted gold and stitched to the sampler with, you guessed it.....more beads. If you have never tried modeling paste with stencils, it is fun and easy. You just spread the paste over the stencil in a thin even layer, carefully lift the stencil from your paper and then let it dry. It can then be painted. It gives the stenciled design a slightly raised feel. The hardest part for me is waiting for it to dry. I was afraid to use my heat gun because I didn't want to set the fabric paper on fire.


The whole sampler was then placed in a driftwood shadow box. This was a really fun project. Working on smaller pieces to make a whole sampler was delightful. I had forgotten how much fun samplers can be and will be starting another one very soon.

2 comments:

sweetcheeks said...

What a beautiful page. I love the stitched lighthouse. Very nice.

Dawn said...

Thank you for your kind words. Bathroom renovations have prevented me from posting lately but I will be back soon!!!